Canadian Community Organizations
The Philippine Independence Day Council (â€œPIDCâ€) is a non-profit umbrella organization of almost three hundred Filipino-Canadian provincial, regional, professional, cultural and social organizations
FIlipino Canadian Association – New Brunswick
A non-profit cultural organization promoting Filipino Canadian culture in the Saint John community.
Philippine Canadian Center Of Manitoba
More than simply a meeting place, the Centre offers a variety of programs aimed at serving the needs of Winnipeg’s Filipino community, and promoting Philippine arts and culture. Contact number: 775-4928.
Do you have know of a site that would be helpful to other caregivers? Please contact us so we can add it to the directory.
List of Associations/Centres of Caregivers in Ontario, Canada
It can be overwhelming for a new caregiver to get use to the Canadian way of life. Joining an activity or an organization can help you learn to find your niche in this new place, establish connections, and gain friendships. The following are some of the many caregiver groups/associations that may of interest to you.
1. Caregivers Resource Center – established to assist caregivers who need assistance. The centre has also conducted and participated in rescue operations of live-in caregivers/nannies in abusive situations. For inquiries call: 416-439-3246
2. Association of Caregivers in Thornhill – formed by caregivers working in the Thornhill and some from the Vaughn area. This organization’s primary goal is to relieve stress and promote camaraderie amongst caregivers through sports. To achieve this, they have an annual Sports tournament. Events include volleyball and basketball, among others.
3.Fil-Core Support Group Durham Region – is a non-profit organization committed to provide humanitarian assistance to its members through “EMPOWERMENT.” They primarily act as a support system to caregivers and new immigrants in their pursuit of a better life in Canada. Members of this organization are primarily caregivers in the Durham region.
4. United Filipino Mothers Association – composed of mothers who came to Canada through the Live-in Caregiver Program. Based in Toronto.
5. Parents, Youths, Families and Friends in Action – groups of families and friends of women under the Live-in Caregiver Program. It also based in Toronto.
6. Filipino Canadian Community House – “Serving Others, Serving God.”
7. Caregivers Niagara – is a newly-formed association of caregivers in the Niagara region which aims to unite caregivers in the area to achieve a common objective.
8. IWWORKERS – Association of Filipino Women Workers is an organization of foreign live-in caregivers, personal support workers and home care providers. It was formed in June 2008 as a joint initiative between the United Steel Workers (District 6) and Migrant -Ontario to protect and promote the rights and welfare of caregivers and home care providers and lobby for reforms that will improve the lives of the workers.
Other organizations that may of interest to you:
Migrante-Canada – “an alliance of Filipino migrant and immigrant organisations in Canada. It has member organisations in BC, Alberta, Winnipeg, Toronto, Barrie, Ottawa, Montreal and New Brunswick. Migrante-Canada is part of a global network of migrant and global based progressive organisations. We are a chapter of Migrante International – a global alliance of migrant Filipino organizations in the Philippines and abroad with presence in Asia, the US, Canada, Europe and The Middle East.” For more information, please check them at www.migrante.ca
Federation of Migrant Workers Union (FMWU) – is an allied organization of Migrante.