Training and Education
Keeping yourself informed and up to date on the best practices and educational opportunities available to caregivers is a smart way to manage your career and even improve your income. Not only is it wise to know as much as you can about your field, but this will increase your confidence as a professional and respected caregiver in your community or institution (hospital, nursing home, etc.). With proper training, you may improve your chances of being considered a strong candidate for future job applications.
There are many schools across Canada that offer training for caregivers. Contact your local community college or library for more information.
If you are interested in the Personal Support Worker training program, many provinces have put forward guidelines for certification of PSWâ€™s (Personal Support Workers).
For example, in Ontario graduates of this program are essentially expected to work effectively under supervision to:
- Carry out a program of service for patients as part of the health care team.
- Provide care that is focused on the clientâ€™s outcome and do so in both community and institutional environments (like hospitals, nursing home facilities, etc.).
- Be observant of issues affecting patient care and report these issues or general observations to your supervisor.
- Support the clientâ€™s personal care requirements (like bathing, dressing, etc.) according to the care or service plan established.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately using oral, written and nonverbal methods.
- Help out in promoting a safe and comfortable environment for clients, their families, yourself and others.
- Perform the personal support worker role in an ethical manner and within the law.
Here is a list of a few colleges that offer PSW training/certification in Ontario. In most cases Ontario programs are 1 year in length. It is to your advantage to compare programs and locations to find the most affordable tuition rate and location for you no matter where your location is in Canada. Links below will take you to the collegeâ€™s programs page/Personal Support Worker Program overview.
- Algonquin College
- Centennial College
- Confederation College
- Durham College
- Fleming College
- George Brown College
- Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- Lambton College
- Mohawk College
- Niagara College
- Fanshawe College
For other locations across Canada, you might consider contacting CDI Colleges.